Gaming as a career. Over the years, career landscape has seen a major shift in India. Today’s youth does not hesitate to experiment with various career options and the mindsets of parents have also evolved, they are now supportive of their children’s choice. Choosing a right career option is the most important decision in everyone’s life.
They go through a dilemma of choosing a career after completing their 10th, 12th or graduation. Top paying and common career options such as Medical, Engineering, Management, Chartered Accountancy etc. are available. Apart from this, numerous other options are available in the field of Health Care, Travel and Tourism, Media, gaming and so on. The choice of a career depends on the job prospects of the field and most certainly the interest of the candidate.
DEMAND FOR LUCRATIVE, UNCONVENTIONAL CAREERS: Gaming as a career
Gone are the days when all you could think was being a doctor, engineer, or at the most a lawyer. Along with a massive increase in the scale of options available, the demand for lucrative, unconventional careers has risen over the past two decades.
A career in gaming is one such option. Talking about an eccentric career, who would have thought of designing a game or playing it for that matter, would be a career. Mostly peoples take gaming as a hobby, but it is more than that. You can also make your career in gaming & earns a lot through this industry.
According to a survey done by NASSCOM, it is estimated that the Indian gaming sector to be worth approximately $300 million. India will soon be considered as one of the leaders in the gaming industry because the country has shown the aptitude and skill sets to meet the international gaming standards.
Global internet giants Google, Microsoft and several others are coming together to chase the highly lucrative gaming market in India by forming the Indian Digital Gaming Society (IDGS), which will advocate, catalyze and facilitate the growth and capability building of the gaming industry in India.
Important aspects before you choose Gaming as a career
Education: The first step towards building a career in any industry is to gain the required skill/ education.
Certificate & Diploma Courses:
• Certificate in Gaming
• Certificate course in Game Art & Design
• Diploma in Production Gaming
• Diploma in Game Design and Integration
• Diploma in Animation, Gaming and Special Effect
• Diploma in Game Design (DGD)
• Diploma in Game Development
• Diploma in Game Programming
• Advanced Diploma in Game Art & 3D Game Content Creation
• Advance Diploma in Game Programming
• Advance Diploma in Game Design and Development Application
• B.Sc. in Gaming
• Bachelors in Media Animation & Design (BMAD)
• B.Sc. Animation & Gaming
• Bachelor of Science in Animation Game Design and Development
• Bachelor of Technology (B. Tech) – Computer Science and Game Development
• Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Animation & Computer Graphics
• Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Digital Filmmaking & Animation
• Bachelor of Science (B.Sc) in Graphics, Animation & Gaming
• Integrated M.Sc. in Multimedia & Animation with Game Art & Design
• M.Sc. in Gaming
• Master of Science (M.Sc) in Game Design and Development
• Master of Science (M.Sc) in Multimedia and Animation
PLACES FOR TRAINING:
• Bharti Vidyapeeth University, Pune
• Maya Academy of Advanced Cinematics (MAAC), Mumbai
• Arena Animations, New Delhi
• Zee Institute of Creative Arts, Bangalore
• iPixio Animation College, Bangalore
• Animaster Academy – College for excellence in Animation, Bangalore
• Academy of Animation and Gaming, Noida
• World University of Design, Sonepat
• International School of Design, Model Town, Delhi
• Arena Animation, branches across India and etc
JOBS IN THE GAMING INDUSTRY: Gaming as a career
• Game Designer
• Character Animator
• Art Designer
• Freelance Game Developer
• Script Writer
• Game Tester
• Game Modeller
• Level Designer
• Game Quality Assurance Tester
• Interactive Media Designer
• Gameplay Programmer
• Art Designer
• Level Scripter
Benefits of Gaming Courses: Gaming as a career
• These courses can be beneficial for those who are seeking a career in the field of gaming like:
• You can also work as a video game designer, board game designer, independent game developer and many others.
• Gaming courses make you more marketable to employers as they need candidates with a good knowledge of current gaming technologies.
REMUNERATION IN THE GAMING INDUSTRY:
The bar for remuneration in the gaming industry has soared due to the high career demand. In India, the average salary of a video game designer is around Rs.4.5 lacs per annum depending on the working organization and skills.
A video game designer in the USA can get an average salary of $58 k per annum. With good skills in game development, you can easily get a high paying job.